If you’re like me, and you tuned out the NHL a bit since the end of last year thanks to lockout shenanigans, you may be a bit fuzzy on some of the details surrounding the Sabres as they currently stand. Here’s a handy list you can refer to, to help with your water cooler conversations.
- Steve Ott, Adam Pardy, and John Scott are all Sabres. Yes, Scott counts, even if he’ll be warming a press box seat. (please don’t kill me John Scott)
- Ville Leino is still a Sabre, too. Sorry jerks, compliance buyouts start AFTER this season.
- It is still funny when Nathan Gerbe and Tyler Myers stand next to each other.
- Terry Pegula added a pit trap underneath the Sabres logo in the dressing room, so REALLY don’t walk on it, Harrington! There’s no spikes at the bottom, but that IS where Harry Neale will be sitting, ready to regale you with the same stories about coaching in the WHA that you’ve heard thirty times.
- Rob Ray will be in the booth next to RJ, so you can marvel at the way he makes ‘at all’ sound like ‘a tall’ even more. Rayzor is thrilled, as Pierre McGuire was really starting to creep him out when sharing the space between the benches.
- The Winnipeg Jets are a team again, in case you forgot. They have not yet moved to the Western Conference, either.
- Toronto fans will still be crossing the border to see their beloved Maple Leafs, until they take a look at the roster and decide shoving the money they’d be spending in the fireplace for heat would be a better use for it.
- Tim Thomas is still crazy.
- Milan Lucic was denied by the competition committee when he asked if he could use “one of those mart carts” on the ice. He left the conference room dejectedly, though he did have to take a knee once to catch his breath.
- Scott Gomez is still a Canadien.
I hope that helps you get ready for training camp. Go Sabres!