Just a few things I saw that might help the Bruins after last night’s game:
- The opposing team’s best offensive player should probably be covered. You may even want to shove him around a bit when he’s parked in front of the net on a power play.
- Tuukka Rask’s default move when a goal-scorer is near probably shouldn’t be ‘lie on my stomach’.
- That best offensive player I mentioned? Passing him the puck yourself – with a gentle nudge of your hand, no less – also not recommended.
And a few notes for the fans of the Bruins:
- We know that Lane MacDermid wasn’t brought up to ‘deal with John Scott’.
- The timeout was taken because the wrong Sabres were on the ice. Tough guys versus skill players is not something you want if you’re a coach. Reverse the situation, and Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand are standing nose to bellybutton with John Scott (or Jared Boll, or Colton Orr) at a meaningless late-game faceoff, you don’t want to switch them out?
- Actually, I kind of want Ruff to own that, since it bothers some of the Bruins players so much. “Oh, that? Yeah, I called that timeout for a victory lap. What of it?”
By the way Sabres fans, this really wasn’t one to crow about after today – the defense on the Buffalo side was just as brutal, only Ryan Miller bailed ‘em out more than Rask bailed out the Bruins. Many of the same problems remained from the Leafs disaster.
That was a tear your hair out type of game for both fanbases last night, but I’m glad the Sabres came out on top. They meet again in just over a week, and it’ll be interesting to see if there is any carry-over. Might depend on how Thornton’s doing.